A Healing Experience

I’ve shared my birth story of my daughter with you. I’ve been honest about how displeased I was with it, although I was able to have an unmedicated, vaginal delivery. It wasn’t relaxing, empowering, or safe. Using a midwife and birth center has shown me just how bad my first delivery went. The birth of my son was everything I wanted with my daughter. I felt informed, well cared for, and most of all respected during delivery.

Before birth, you have labor. My labor was interesting. When I went in for my 39 week appointment, the midwife did a cervical check. I was already 4cm dilated and 80% effaced. She thought I would be returning that night or the next day. That didn’t happen. Five days later, on my due date, I wake up at 6am really needing to potty…as usual. For some reason if my bladder became too full, my lower back began to hurt. I was experiencing that pain. The only difference this time, is that the pain didn’t go away. I laid back down to sleep for another hour. I woke up at 7am with the back pain worsening and eradiating toward my abdomen. I tried timing the contractions, but they were inconsistent ranging from 4-10 minutes. I told my husband that I thought I could be in labor, so I was going to jump in the shower just in case before breakfast. The shower brought on the contraction even stronger, yet still inconsistent. I went downstairs to eat breakfast and my mother-in-law suggested that I call the midwife to be checked. The contractions were much stronger and around 4-8 minutes a part. It is about 8:30am, the midwife on call decided for us to meet at the birth center for a check at 9am. She didn’t think I was in real labor because I was so calm on the phone. We arrive at the center right at 9am. I still have to have two rounds of antibiotics and 30 minutes of fetal monitoring. She decided to check me first since I had to stop twice for contractions. I was 10cm and 100% effaced. She was shocked and rushed to get me into a birthing room to set up for delivery. My husband helped fill the birthing tub while a student midwife set up for delivery, and the midwife gave me one round of antibiotics. Laying down on my side help the labor slow down a little as they rushed around. After 30 minutes, the tub was finally full. I got in and the on call nurse arrived. The nurse assesses the baby once born. So, she had to prep her area too. My mother-in-law brought our daughter to the center. When my daughter came in, I held her hand and told her that her baby brother was on his way. She told me I could “birth him out”. I gave her a big kiss. Right at that moment, a huge surge to push happened. I rocked back to float on my back and my water broke, which gave me another surge. My daughter decided she wanted to wait in the hall with my mother-in-law. The student midwife was monitoring the baby through my surges. I told her that my body wanted to push. And that’s what it did. About 4 big pushes later, I was holding our 8lbs 6oz 19.5 inch long baby boy. It was absolutely beautiful. The best thing, the nurse was snapping pictures and videoed the birth. I can re-live it over and over. He was born at 9:59am. One minute less than an hour after I arrived at the center. It was fast, but relaxed. I was able to birth my placenta naturally and had minimal bleeding. The total opposite experience with my daughter, where I hemorrhaged because my placenta was pulled out.

This birth was magical, euphoric, and healing. It was everything I thought it would be. And that is my birth story. I labored for almost 4 hours and pushed 4 times. Good thing my mother-in-law suggested for me to call the midwife…or I would have had a homebirth with my husband delivering. Haha!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s